
Share This Article
KATSEYE's Manon Takes Hiatus Amid Racism Allegations: What's Really Going On
Days after performing at the Grammys, KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman announced a temporary hiatus. But fans believe the official story only scratches the surface.
HITKULTR
February 24, 2026
KATSEYE member Manon Bannerman began a temporary hiatus on February 20, 2026 after HYBE and Geffen Records posted a joint Weverse statement saying she would step back to focus on her health and wellbeing. The pause landed at a brutal moment for the group. KATSEYE had just come off two Grammy nominations and a fast-rising U.S. chart run, according to Billboard and the Recording Academy. That timing is why the hiatus became more than a routine schedule update. Within hours, fan concern turned into a wider debate about workload, visibility, and whether Manon, the group's only Black member, was being treated fairly inside a project built to sell a global future for pop.
Manon followed with her own Weverse message, writing that she was healthy and taking care of herself, as reported by BBC News. The official statement did not give a return date, and that lack of detail pushed the conversation far beyond a standard health notice.
What HYBE and Geffen Actually Confirmed
HYBE and Geffen Records confirmed only one concrete point: Manon is on temporary hiatus and the other five members will continue scheduled activities, according to the labels' February 20 Weverse post and follow-up coverage from Variety and Deadline. The agencies did not cite a medical diagnosis, did not announce an end date, and did not suggest a lineup change. That matters because most of the louder claims circulating on X, TikTok, and Reddit came from fan interpretation, not from the companies themselves. Manon's own message also stayed careful. She thanked fans for their support and said she was trusting the bigger picture, but she did not directly accuse the labels of misconduct. The cleanest verified reading is still the narrow one: the hiatus is real, the return timeline is unknown, and KATSEYE's near-term schedule is moving ahead without her.

BBC also reported that KATSEYE had confirmed it would continue performances during Bannerman's absence, while HYBE later told The Korea Herald that she remained on hiatus. Those are the original attributable facts. Everything else sits in the category of fan concern or open speculation.
Why Fans Connected the Hiatus to Racism Concerns
The racism conversation did not come from an official allegation. It grew out of fan reaction after Manon liked a social post that framed her situation as another case of a Black woman facing racism and label mistreatment, as widely documented in follow-up coverage and fan archives. That action was enough to supercharge preexisting concern about how she had been framed in promotional cycles, documentary editing, and online discourse. Fans pointed to recurring complaints about uneven visibility and harsher scrutiny, but the labels have not publicly addressed those claims. That distinction is important. There is a real and newsworthy backlash, and there is also a limit to what can be responsibly stated as fact. The strongest version of the story is not that racism has been proven by the companies. It is that Manon's hiatus reopened a very public debate about race, fandom, and label accountability around KATSEYE.

The Pressure Around KATSEYE Was Already Public
The pressure inside KATSEYE was already on the record before Manon's hiatus, according to BBC reporting on the group's late-2025 interviews. Lara Raj told the BBC that the group had received death threats, while Manon said the level of scrutiny could feel terrorizing on the mind. Those comments matter because they anchor the discussion in documented testimony rather than rumor. The group was assembled through Dream Academy after more than 100,000 auditions, as reported by HYBE and Geffen during the show's rollout, then accelerated through EP releases, brand deals, award-show bookings, and a Coachella slot in less than two years. That kind of pace can make every absence feel loaded. Even if the official reason remains health and wellbeing, the context confirmed by the members themselves shows why fans were primed to see the hiatus as part of a larger pressure story.
What Happens Next for KATSEYE
KATSEYE is still scheduled to perform as five while Manon remains away, according to Deadline and BBC. The unresolved question is whether the labels eventually offer a clearer explanation or simply wait for her return. For now, the safest conclusion is also the most revealing one. KATSEYE's biggest career surge has collided with an accountability test neither company can manage through silence forever.







